Sir [John] Knotsworth, Colonel, and governor of Evesholm.
Neare Banbury in the field:-
Sir Robert Howard,(c) fourth son to the Earl of Berks, June 29
Sir Thomas Hooper,(d) Leift,-Col. Of Dragoons, eod.
Sir Hugh Crocker, then Mayor, July 26 or 27.
At Crediton in co. Devon:-
Sir Thomas Basset, (e) 27 July.
Sir Joseph Wagstaffe, (f) eod.
Sir Henry Carye, eod.
At Boconnock in Cornwall, Lord Mohun’s howse:-
Sir james Cobb, Aug.
Sir John Arundel of Lanreath, (g) under age, being a ward, whick frees his wardship, Aug.
Sir Charles Trevanion, (h) of Carhese, Cornwall, Aug.
Sir Francis Basset, (i) high Sheriff of Cornwall, Aug.
a Colonel of a Regiment of Foot in the city of Worcester.
b Sir Daniel Tyas.
c Knighted at Cropredy Brige.
d Knighted for taking Wemes the Scot (General of Sir William Waller’s Artillery) prisoner at Cropredy Bridge.
e Brother to Sir Francis, General of the Ordinance to Prince Maurice.
f Major-General to the army under the conduct of Prince Maurice in the West.
g At Liskeard, 3rd of August.
h Knighted at Crediton, July 30th.
i Knighted at Credition / a Cornishman, Goveernor of St. Michael’s Mount.
Neare Listithiel [Lostwithiel], in the field:-
Sir Edward Brett, (a) Aug. 32.
Upon Redheath neare Newbery [?hodie Snelsmore Common]:-
Sir John Boys, Governor of Denington Castle, Octob.2.
The unfortunate Battaile of Alresforde in the Countie of Southt. was fought on Friday, 29th of March, 1644.
The King marched out of Oxford Aprill the tenth 1644, being Tuesday. That night he lay at Childerley [Childrey,] an ancient howse, now the Lady Fetyplas (b) lives in it, com. Berks. Divers ancient matches of that family in the hall windowes and the chappel. His troope quartered at Wantage, two myles nearer Oxford, and twelve myles from Oxford. Lord Bernard (c) lay at Sir George Wilmott's (d) howse neare Wantage. Vide Wantage Church, alibi. (e)
Wednesday, the King's army appeared at the rendesvouz neare Awborne, five myles short of Marlborowe. The King lay that night at Marlborough, the howse of the Lord Seymor's.
The troope quartered at Ogborne, a myle from thence. Lord Bernard lay at Mr. Goddard's, a man of four or 500li per ann. A small village. Thursday the King dyned at an inne in Wantage, and came that night to Oxford.
April 17, 1644. Being Wednesday in the afternoone, the Queene marched to Abingdon from Oxford, lay there that night, and the next morning went on to Lamborne, so for Bristoll.
The King's troope attending of her that night, and carryed her
a In the field at the pursuit of the Earl of Essex's army, Captain of the Queen's troop.
b This was Anne, relict of Sir Edmund Fettiplace, and daughter of Sir Roger Alford - She died in 1651.
c He married Margaret, daughter of Richard Aldworth, Citizen of London, and resided at Charlton.
e He alludes, no doubt, to a volume of Church Notes, but which form no part of the Diary.
out of towne; then came to Oxford with the King. As we marched in Abi[ngdon] I saw a tall stout fellow, whose haire was all matted in elfe locks, very long, and his beard so too, though not so large. His nose cutt or eate off.
This coate at Abingdon, in the howse where Mr. Parme lives, which Dr. Tucker (a) owes [owns]. Description of drawing
Thursday 16 May, 1644. The King marched from Oxon to Reading, his whole army being there, and the workes there then slightinge.
The King lay that night at Cowley howse, belonging to Hampden in right of his wife. Vachell.
Cowley howse. In the dyning-roome windowes (b)- Description of drawing
a Charles Tucker or Tooker, C.C.L. he maried Christian, daughter of Richad Soughby of Carswell, co. Berks. he was of the family of the Tookers of Maddington, co. Wilts., and was of Oriel coll. Oxford. he died 1659. C.8,f.119,Coll,Arm.
b All this glass has disappeared. The old house was pulled down; but there are on some portions of the remaining walls the dates 1553 and 1567.
c Sir Thomas Vachell married 2dly, Sarah, daughter of Sir William Lane, of Horton, co Northampton.
d This was Letitia, 3d wife of Sir Thomas Vachell, and daughter of Sir Francis Knolly of Reading, brother to William Earl of Banbury. She subsequently became the second wife of Hampden, as mentioned in the Diary, and died in 1666.
e Sir Thomas Vachell married, 1st, Alice, daughter of Hugh Brooke.
In the Hall windowes are these: Description of drawing
Adjoyneing to this new built howse is the ancient habitation, but very small, which now is used as the outhowses.
In the kitchen windowes are these two shields, older than all the former:- Description of drawing
On Friday the 17th The King marched with his whole army from the Leager neare Reading, through Inglefield, where in the church are these old shields:- Description of drawing
Divers other coates of armes, but time would not suffer me to take them.
Under the south wall of the south yle of the church, under an arch, lyes the portrait of a man in compleate armor, corsse-leggd,
his shield on his arme. The coate of Inglefeild had beene fairely painted on his breast.
Upon a flatt stone neare the south dore of the church, the effigies of a man in brasse, and an inscription; thus as I can remember:- Orate.... Englefeild, armigeri, qui obiit...M.Vc.
Betweene the chappel and the north yle aforesaid, stands a faire tombe of blew marble, arched at the east end, inlayed in brasse; the statues of a knight kneeling. Upon his surcoate, his armes and match. On hers, her armes, and the coat of Inglefeild, and his mach between them in brasse too. (a) The inscription was faire, and was for a knight of the name. 1500, &c.
In the aforesaid east window, north yle, and written under. Description of drawing
Three or four flat stones of the same family. One new faire erected monument against the north wall of the said yle; Description of drawing
This family lived ever in man's remembrance till Queen Elizabeth's dayes. He was accused and dyed for treason. (b)
The manor howse is neare the church, a lofty and faire seate; and a faire parke well wooded neare it, belonging to it.
Now the howse of the Lorrd Marquesse of Winchester.
From Inglefeild the King and the army marched by Bradley, in the same county.
Where, neare the church, and by the roade, is a faire large and antique manor howse, now the seate of Captaine Stafford, a young
a All these brasses were gone when I visited this church about 1827. They are all noticed by Ashmole as existing; and, as he commenced his Visitation in 1664 an concluded it in 1666, the Cromwellians, who are always accused of having perpetrated such spoiations, are, in this case, most clearly exonerated.
Sir Francis Englefield was indicted for treason, fled the kingdon, was outlawed, and attainted 28Eliz., when his estates were seized by the Crown. He died at Valladolid about the year 1592.
gent. The hall, parlor, &c. were adorned with severall matches of that family. Description of drawing
From thence to Compton, which is the beginning of the Downes in the way from Reading to Wantage. here, on the top of the Playne hills, was the rendesvouz of the whole arm that Satterday. The King returned home ot Oxford that night.
Round about the King's chessboard this verse:- Subditus et Princeps istis sine sanguine certent. 1643.
Munday, the 27 of May, the rebels possessed themselves of Abbingdon.
Tuesday they faced at Cumner and Ilsley (Iffley), a myle from Oxford.
Wednesday the 29. We scouted beyond Cumner, and mett with some of them; none hurt of either side. Thursday, a great body of foote of them appeared upon Ballington greene; some bodyes of theire horse and many of their scoutes appeared on the hill, neare neare the citty of Oxford on the east side. divers of us went out and mett them, singly. One Captayne Bennet of ours slayne.
Friday 31. The King went out of Oxford at the north gate to Wolvercote. The Lord B[ernard] and the King's troope went neare the Mill at Islep, where our army kept them from coming over. That day, Sir Jacob Ashley kept them off. And the next, an on Sunday, with losse of six or little more men too.
Sunday 2 June. At one of the clocke in the afternoone, the King, accompaniedwith his troope, &c. went to Woodstock and killed two bucks, and supt there.
a This was probably Edward Stafford, son of Sir Edward Stafford, knt. by Mary, daughter of Sir William Forster, of Aldermaston, co. Berks, knight.
b This is the coat of Langford of Bradfield, from which family, and who had previosly inherited it from the De la Beches, the Staffords derived it.
Newes came at ten of the clock at night, that Waller was at New bridge, with all his force, consisting of 10,000, and that 150 horse were on Oxfordshire side, come over.
Wee marched towards O.' lay in the feild by the way. Our soldjers hung lighted matches at the mill and bridge neare Islip to cheate Essex, and so fairely left the place, the enemy shooting many times that night at the matches in vayne. Wee came safe to O. That Munday morning, brought all the King's army safe to Oxford; and that day, many of our foot and horse went towards Abingdon. At nine of the clock that night, the King with all his army lay in the feild at Wolvercote, marched without a cannon between New bridge and Woodstock, and left Witney on the left hand; so to Burford, a long stree and one church, where the Kng's troope refreshed themselves at Mr. William Lenthall's howse in that towne, a(a) and that night marched to Morton-super-aquas.
Wednesday 5 of June. The KIng and all his army marched over Cotwold downes and Brodway hills, and came to Evesham, his owne garrison, where young Colonel Knotsforth was governour; which was the first night's rest of our army.
Thursday morning the bridge was pulled up, and Knotsford commanded to stay till he saw the enemy, of whom wee heard (by one of their captaynes who was taken scowting that morning neare Brodway) that Waller was at Brodway with all his army. Evesham being slighted.
The King marched with all his army to Worcester that night, being twelve myles the worst way. A woody and durty country.
Pershore bridge was pulld downe by our forces, because Waller should not follow, and forty of our men lost. The bridge fell from under them into the river.
This Knotsworth was knighted at Buckingham.
a This was the house, now partly pulled down, which belonged to Lord Falkland, and was purchased by Speaker Lenthall.
Evesholme, co. Gloucester.
Two parish churches within this mayor towne both in one church-yard, Al-Saints and St. Lawrence.
Alhallowes [i.e. All Saints] Church in Evesholme, more eastward placed in the churchyard.
These are in very old glasse in the north yle window of this church: Description of drawing
East window of church: Description of drawing
A deepe stone cutt for a coffyn, with a place for the head, lyes in the chancel.
North window north yle: Description of drawing
In this church stands an old organ case.
Upon a flat stone the picture of a man and woman in brasse:
Orate pro aia Rob'ti Willys et Agnetis
ux'is ejus; quor'a.p.d.a.
Hic jacet Johs Ok ley, quondam mercator ville de
Evesham, qui obiit viij die Junii 1596; (six.) cujus a.p.d.a.
Carved on an old stone in the south yle of the church: Description of drawing
South yle, west windon. this coate, old: Description of drawing
In an old roome adjoyning to the north side of the church these two in old glasse: Description of drawing
Worcester, June 6, 1644.
Wherein is the cathedral, and a colledge adjoyning for a deane and ten prebends, worth 80. a peice per annum; ten petty cannons; ten singing men; ten singing boyes; forty king's schollars.
The bishop's pallace is neare the cathedral.
Parish curches tenn.
1. St. Peters 6. St. Andrewes.
2. St. Michail's. 7. Alsaints'.
3. St. Alban's. 8. St. Clement's.
4. St. Ellen's. 9. St. Nicholas.
5. St. Swithin's. 10. St. Martin's.
All within the walls.
Four gates. Sidbury gate, towards Evesham, which is the east gate. 2. The Bridge gate, which is the west gate, and goes towards hereford. 3. North gate, called the Fore gate, which leades to Yorke. 4. St Martin's gate, towards Warwick, north-east.
The citty is governed by-a maior, recorder, six aldermen in scarlet gownes. All that are aldermen and have beene maiors do weare scarlet.
Twenty-four of the grand councel, in purple gownes faced with sathan. Forty-eight of the common councel, all in purple gownes faced with sathan.
Two coroners; one sheriffe; one towne clerk.
All the officers chosen once a yeare.
This coppy I had of Mr. William Symonds, now living in Worcester, ætat. 70.
De Crohlea, now written Crowle; (a) four myles from Worcester.
Tempore illo quo Dani hujus patrie possessores fuerunt, villa que dicitur Crohlea à dominico victu monachorum hoc modo ablata est, licet servitio ecclesie adhuc (Deo largiente) mancipata sit. Nam Simund quidam, genere Danus, miles Leofrici comitis Merciorum, possessor existens alterius Crohlea, predicte jam vicine, ut illius generis homines erant soliti, nostre tunc proprie ville dominatum avare cupiebat. Quam cum adipisci nullo modo posset, vi et potentia sua et domini sui eam tot damnis et placitis pejoravit, ut fere eam colonis destitueret. Hine facto placito, precibus domini sui predicti comitis Egelwinus, prior istius monasterrii, ei terram ipsam concessit possidendam vite sue spatio, ea tamen conventione, ut pro ea ipse ad expeditionem terra marique, que tunc crebro agebatur, monasterio serviret, pecuniaque placabili sive gabello ipsum priorem unoquoque anno recognosceret.
This in the register of Werdcester was written iby Hemingus, a monk in the priory in the time of St. Welston [Wulston] Bishop of Worcester, in the reigne of William the Conqueror, at which time no armes were borne in England. It is in the booke of Sir Richard St. George, King of Heralds, and the armes there appeare. Description of drawing
Since the civil warr in this kingdome these regiment have beene raysed out of this county, pro Rege: which consists onely of 150 od parish churches.
a. This was the residence of a family of Symonds in no way related to our quthor. The extract from Hemingus has been corrected from Hearne's edition, 8vo. 1723, p. 264, with the exception of the word "gabello," which appears preferable to "caballo," as Hearne printed it.
Sir James Hamilton, about May 1643, raysed three regiments. One of horse of 400 or thereabout, one of ffoote neare 1,000, one of dragoons, all at the charges of the county. These captaynes were under him of this county:
Captain john Blunt, of Soddinton, son to Sir Walter Blunt.
Captain William Welch.
All these and his regiment ere cutt off and taken prsoners about or neare the Devizes. These captaynes aforesaid are now in towne.
His regiment of foot lost there, so was his dragoons. Henderson, a Scot, was his leiftenant.
Colonel Samuel Sandys, of Ombersley, four myles from Worcester, about the same time raysed three regiments; one of horse, one of foot, one of dragoons, all at his owne charge. He hath 3000l per annum.
The horse consisted of between 6 or 700
John Sandys, his unclke, captain-leift.
Mr. Windsor Hickman, leift-colonel.
Capt. Savage, of this county.
One regiment of foot of about 1000.
Captain William Sandys, his unckle.
Captain Frederick Windsor.
Captain Fr. Moore, of this county.
Regiment of dragoons not perfected. Captain Thomas Symonds, of Claynes, in this county, neqhew to Mr. William S. of Worcester.
Colonel Sandys gave up his regiment of ffoot to Knotsworth, who was now Governor of Evesham, of the county of Warwick, about Aprill 1644, when Prince Rupert was here.
Sir Wiliam Russel, of Strensham in this county, raysed, not long
after, one regiment of horse consisting of about 300, now in being about this citty.
One regiment of ffoot consisting of about 700, about 300 still, ther rest gone for want of pay.
Colonel Sandys, younger brother to Sandys which was killed here on the rebells side, raysed a regiment of horse in this county.
The citty of Wigorn. at this present, 3 June, 1644, is thus governed and defended:-
The governoru, Sir Gilbert Gerard, hath a regiment of foot. Leiftenant-Colonel (blank), Major ishop, Captain Gerard, and one regiment of horse.
Colonel Martin Sandys, unckle to Mr. Samuel Sandys, hath a regiment of foot of the townesmen, consisting of about 800.
He was knighted at the palace in Worcester June 12, 1644.
The mayor of Worcester was knighted 12 of June, 1644.
Munday the 10 of June, the Lord Wilmott with his horse went from Worcester on that side of Severne next Hereford, so to Bewdley, and relieved the Castle of Dudley, which was beseiged by the Earle of Denbighe: tooke some prisoners.
Wednesday the 12 of Jne, 1644, his Majestie marched out of Worcester on that side of the Severne next Hereford, by the parish of (blank) where is a park where Sir Walter Devereux lives, two myle on the right hand the way from Worcester. Then by Shrawley, a parish. At last to Bewdley, ten myles from Worcester, where the King lay that night at the manor of Tickney, on the top of the hill nere the towne, a howse belonging to the Prince of Wales, now farmed out to Sir Ralph Clare, A fine hilly parke about the howse.
The church is a myle from the towne. In the towne iis onely a chappel of ease. Two myles from Kidermister.
This is an inclosed county, small pastures and corne feilds, a narrow way, most part of it stony; the quarrie of stone of a brickish colour.
In the chappel of ease at Bewdley, called St. Ann's Chappel.
In the east window of the chancel: Description of drawing
The towne of Bewdley is governed with a bayliffe and a justice; he that is bayliffe this yeare is justice the next. Chosen out of twelve aldermen. Two bridgwardens.
The onely manufacture of this towne is making of capps called Monmouth capps. Knitted by poore people for 2d. a piece, ordinary ones sold for ijs., 3s.,4s. First they are knitt, then they mill them, then block them, then they worke them with tasells, then they sheere them.
A grotto cut out of the quarry of stone within this parke towards the Severne.
Satterday morning the King &c. with his whole army marched back to Worcester.
Sunday, after sermon in the forenoone ended in the Cathedral at Worcester, his Majestie about xii. of the clock left Worcester and lay that night at Brodway, com. Gloucester [Worcester], going through Evesholme. His Majestie lay that night at Mr. Savage his howse there at Brodway.
West window ch.: Description of drawing
North window, crosse yle: Description of drawing
Mantle sable, doubled argent.
East window, old: Description of drawing
A small neate momument against the south wall of the chancel, with this: Description of drawing
From Brodway, the King and all his army marched over the Cotswold Downes, where Dover's games (a) were, to Stowe in the Would, six myle. Then that night to Burford, in co. Oxon. being seven myles further, where his Majestie lay that Munday night at the George Inn in Burford. Where wee heard that the rebel Essex and his army followed the King when he first left Oxford, and on Thursday 6th of June lay in this towne, two or three nights, and then marched into the West to releive Lyme. Waller came hither too, but onely passed through, and so to Stowe, and after as far as Kidermister after his Majestie.
This night wee heard that Essex was then at Salisbury, Waller at (blank), following of his Majestie.
Tuesday, after his Majestie had beene at church and heard the sermon, and dyned, he marched to Witney that night, five myles.
There that night the foote which were left at Oxford came with the pikes and colours, for before there was none marched with the King this march, and (blank) trayne also.
Two myle short of Witney on the left hand, as wee came from Burford, stands Minster Lovel, an ancient howse of the Lord Lovel, worth seeing.
Minster Lovel Church, co. Oxford
East window of the chancel broken. Description of drawing
a. For an account of these games, see the Annalia Dubrensia, concerning "Mr. Robert Dover's Olympic games upon Cotswold Hills," published 1636, See also Rudder's history of Gloucestershire.
Description of drawing
These coates are painted very old on the chancel side, upon the boardes that divide the chancel and the body of the church, in a row, almost worne out: Description of drawing
West window, under these coates thus written the remdant of the Saints are still: Description of drawing
In the south crosse yle of the church stands an altar tombe (a) of alablaster, which is adorned with four shields on each side, and two at the west end, for the east end joynes to the wall' on the south side is the statues of the Virgin Mary and another saint; on the north side two Bishops; at the west end St. Christopher; all handsomely carved. Upon the top lyes the statue of an armed knight, at his feet a lyon under his head lyes his helmet, mantle, and upon a wreaath a dog pasant (b) like a lyon, his body compleate armour of woove worke, yet somewhat like the Black Prince.
a. See an account of this monument in the Gentleman's magazine, 1825, but the coats of arms are not mentioned. It is, in all probability, the monument of John Lord Lovel, father of Francis Viscount Lovel, who died 4 Edw. IV. The coat of Deincourt, his mother being an heir of that family, would seem to establish the fact.
b. This is the crest of Lovel, viz a talbot passant.
North side, these four: Description of drawing
West end, these two: Description of drawing
In the north part of that yle lyes a large flat stone inlayed with brasse, sans pictures of bodyes, four shields, at each corner one, and one towards the upper end, with mantle, helme, and creast, a dog sejant, the shield gone; this motto is in divers severall scrowlls: "Mercy and Grace."
The one of the four shields remayne: Description of drawing
The inscription in the midst:
Verbum fons venie Vampage miserere Joh'is
Ad regis causas attornati primo juris
Mater virgo Dei p'cor Elizabeth memorari
Prima que vita felix sibi nupta
-bus hos turbe jungat Deus atque beate
Gratis quo cernant ipsos qui jura gubernant
Et rogent in celis maneant ut quisque fidelis.
In the hall windowes of the hall which formerly had beene the seate of the Lord Lovel:
Lovel. Grey of Rotherfield.
Rendesvouz of the King's foot neare Witney, with those that
came from Oxford... June, Wednesday, 3910, besides officers, which are at least 1000.
All the howses in Witney and Burford are built of stone.
Friday the 21 of June. From Witney the King, &c. marched from thence to Woodstock playne, where the rendesvouz was of foot, with the Qheenes regiment and officers, in all 6000.
The horse, 4 or neare 5000.
That night the King lay at Blechingdon at Sir Thomas Coghill's new howse. His troope was quartered at Islip, five myles from Oxford, two myles nearer Blechingdon to Oxford.
In the church of Islip, though large, is no armes in the windowes.
A flat stone in the north yle [of the ] chancel, of one Andrewes.
A new small one in the chancel, of [Henry] Norris, Esq. with the armes of Noris: Description of drawing
A small brasse at the east end, with a coate and creast for Dr. Egliondby [Aglionby], parson of this church. Another in the chancel, four verses sans armes.
Jacet hic Vesey-- a Churchman.
Westminster Colledge ownes the lordship of this towne. They have the guift of the living 200li per annum at most: 36 yard-lands in this parish, 20li a yeare land, betweene 30 and 40 acres in a yardland.
From Islip, our quaters, wee wayted on the King, from Blechingdon, about six of the clock, to Bisseter, where, before wee came to the towne, on the greene playne was the rendesvouz.
In the church of Burcester [Bicester], com. Oxon., north window north yle church, this old:-Description of drawing
These three south window, church: Description of drawing
Agaynst the north wall of the chancel is an altar-tombe of marble, and that part which is in the wall is inlayed in brasse with the pictures of a man with his surcoate and a woman with hers: Description of drawing
This inscription in brasse following:
Orate p' aiabz Willi Staveley armigi quondam dni de Bignell' et Alicie uxis ejus filie un'hered' dni johis Fraunces militis et dne Isabelle uxis ejus unice heredis dni....Plesington militis. Quiquidem Will's obijt 10 die Octobr' 1598 p'dea vero Alicia obiit 20 die Octobr' 1500. Quor' aiabz p.d.a. [See Vincent's Oxon. f. 80, coll. Arm.]
Against the south wall, right over against the former, is an old altar-tombe of stone, and in the wall is[a] brasse inlayed with three shields, mantle, helmes and creasts: Description of drawing
The boards at the east end of the north chappell were anciently painted and adorned with the coates of Stanley:
Quarterly Stanley and the arms of the isle of Man, an inescocheon blank.
A small monument of brasse in the church, north wall neare the the cancel, this coate or like it: Picture of a cross.
From this parish wee marched that night with the whole army and ten peices of battery, to Buckingham.
St. Peter's church in the towne of Buckingham. Satterday 22 June 1644. Description of drawing
Both these coats are surmounted by mitres.
All may God amend, is painted on the wall.
All the windows are done with crescents and escallops.
Never weere any windows more broken, in May, 1644, by the rebels of Northampton.
North yle were many coates, bot all broken. Description of drawing
Fowler built this yle.
South window south yle, these very old: Description of drawing
A poore towne, one church, Sir Alexander Denton (a) is lord of it, who lives at Hilsdon, two myles off. Parsonage his, was worth 1,000l per annum; vicaridge 10l per annum.
The bayliffe and the aldermen mett the King at the townes end,
a. he died in 1644-5, having married one of the Hampdens of Hartwell, distantly related to the great parliamentarian.
and there the bayliffe made a speech to his majestie. And on Sunday morning went before the King to church.
Toward the north of this towne, half a myle off on the top of the hill, stands a village called Maides Morton, co. Cuck.
This shield is twice in old glasse in the south and north window of this church: Description of drawing
In the curhc lyes a flat stone, with the former shield twic still upon it. The inscription and the pictures of two women, both stolne.
Two more flat stones in the chancel with the statues of women both gone and the inscription also.
Over the north doore [of the] church, is the former shield painted on the wall, with this under it: Description of drawing
Over against this, on the north wall, is the same coate painted, and under written, Pever.
The inhabitants shew the feild next the church where the howse was where these virgin sister lived.
This church belongs to Alsowles in Oxford.
Hilsden, co. Buck. The manor howse neare this faire and neate church is Sir Alexander Denton's , and by him made a garrison in winther 1643.
Taken by the rebels and burnt. The church windowes spoiled.
An altar-tombe at the east end of the chancel next the north wall, divers matches of the family of Denton: Description of drawing
The statues of a man and woman which laye on the top of this tombe are broken and throwne downe there by the rebels.
Upon the north wall north yle of the chancel is a monument of
a. The last heir male of this family died in 1382, leaving one daughter and heir, who married, and had issue: consequently the tradition that this church was built by the maiden daughters of the last lord falls to the ground.
Playne stone, with the quarterings of Denton, and inscribed; some of it I remember:
Here lyeth Alex. Denton, son of Thomas Denton, Esq., by Ann [? Mary] his wife, daughter of [Roger] Martyn, Knight, who dyed AD. 157
This parish is two myles from Buckingham, southward.
Wednesday, 26 June. The King and the army marched from Buckingham to Brackley. This majestie lay there last night, Before you come to Brackley, is a large greene or downe called Bayards Breene, where often is horse-raceing, six myle long. (a)
The troope lay at Turson in Buch. alias Tary Weston, [Turweston] forty-five myles from Northampton. Thursday morning, wee marched to 9blank0 where the King lay. The troop lay at Throp Mandevile, all at Captaine kirton's. the manor howse, where are divers matches of that family:
Kirton: Description of drawing
Friday, 28 June. From thence, wee marched towards Banbury, where, upon the hissl at a faire howse of [Sir Anthony] Cope's, stood part of Waller's body. As wee faced the enemy on the windmill hill, and a comanded party of horse and foot, sent downe to make the passage good from begond Banbury. (Sic orig.)
The enemyes horse endeavoured to passe the river on the right hand of Bandury, but were repulsed; one Captayne Martin of horse killed, after he had charged twice, his men did not follow. Some scowting beyond Banbury that evening; little or no hurt on neither side.
The King lay that night at a howse on the bottome of the hill neare Banbury.
Satterday morning, June 29, 1644. Betweene three and four in the morning, our whole army of horse and foot stood at the bottome neare Banbury. Waller and his comrades facing of us on the top of the hills beyond the towne. About eight the King's whole army marched by the Windmill towards a towne. Then all the King's foot, ordinance and cariages were passt the two passes over the
a. More anciently renowned for its tournaments.
river, viz, (blank) nearest to Banbury, and another passe at the parish of (blank)
A party of horse of the enemy came over the river and charged our reare of foot, about one or two of the clocke. The Lord Wilmott, who was behind them keeping of that passe next Banbury, fell upon them, and after divers skirmises, horse against horse, some few of them killed, the enemy retreated, but ere they retreated the King's troope was drawne up by the Lord Bernard, very near the enemy. Whiles our troope faced them, newes came about four of the clocke that Sir William Boteler, a colonel of horse, and Sir William Clerke, another, [were] both killed at that passe next Banbury: the first by his owne trooper unfortunately. whome his comrades requited. Here was the Lord Wilmott shott in the arme, and small graze on his hand. Sergeant Major Panton killed of ours.
One blew ensigne of foot taken.
While our troope thus faced the enemy at the furthest passe, fourteen cannon shott was shott at us; some and most flew over us, some at last as much short. None of us hurt.
Then came the King about five of the clock, and drew us off on the top of the hill, betweene the two passes, our foot and theires all the while shooting.
An ensigne taken at the farthest passe, and three prisoners by one foot man of Colonel Penniman's regiment.
An ensigne azure, on a canton a cross, issuing therefrom, towards fess point, a flame or ray of light wavy argent.
But before all this, at the nearest passe, we took eleven peices of the enemyes cannon, and all there horse belonging to them. The prisoners taken severally told us that Sir William Waller was killed, but it proved a lye.
The body of there horse and foot retreated up to the top of the hill ymediately after Lord Wilmot's horse had beate them from our reare; our horse and footstanding on the top of the hill, on (blank) side betweene the two passes.
At eight of the clock that night, the body of the King's army faced the enemyes body on the hill just over the first passe. The enemye shooting 10 or more great peices, some of them fell neare the King.
Sunday, 30 of June. The enemy lay in the same place that morning, as wee left him the night past.
Afore nine, the King, &c. went to prayers in the feild, and, sermon ended, we saw part of the body of the enemy march away towards Warwickshire, about xj. of the clock.
On Satterday before, 29 June, Mr. Robert Howard, (a) son to the Earle of Verks, and Leiftenant Colonel to his brother of horse, was knighted for his gallant service against the rebells [when] wee came over the passe.
Thirty commanders and officers of the enemy this Friday taken, whereof one was Weemes, Generall of the Ordinance to Waller, a man obliged to the King for his bread and breeding; a Scott.
This Satterday, at the first passe, one of Colonel Apleyard's ensignes tooke a guidon of dragoons of the enemy.
A trumpet and banner taken by a Frenchman of horse, with this coate upon it:
Argent, three snakes embowed vert.
Lieut,-Colonel Hooper, of Dragoons, knighted (per mistake. Thelwel (b) did the service.) Sir Thomas Hooper.
That Sunday morning, the rebells shott 30 peice of cannon at a body of horse of ours which lay on the side hill, but did no hurt.
Nothing of any moment done all this day.
A spy hanged.
Munday morning, about four of the clock, his Majestie with all his army, drums beating, colors flying, and trumpets sounding, marched through Middleton Cheyney, from thence to Farmigo [Farthingho],
a. The wit and poet.
b. This was the fight of Cropredy bridge, of which Clarendon gives a good account, and mentions Colonel Thelwell.
where Sir Rowland Egerton hath a howse; from thence by Aynoe [Aynhoe] on the hill to [? Abberbury] where the Lord Wilmott hath a faire seat. Here a trumpett of Waller came and exchanged 60 and od prisoners of ours taken by them, which were all they tooke, wee having a hundred more.
The King lay at Dedington. From Dedington the army marched Tuesday morning, by [Great Tew], where the Lord Viscount Falkland hath a faire howse, com. Oxon.; thence that night to Morton Henmash [on the Marsh], where his Majestie lay.
From thence his Majestie with his whole army marched over the Cotswold hills, with colours flying 7c., to Brodway; thence to Evesholme that night, where he lay.
His troope were quartered at Fladbury.
Fladbury church in com. Wigorn.
This is a mother church to five or six hamlets. In the east window of the chancel the pictures, notwithstanding being broken about a fortnight before by Waller's men, these six following coates,very faire and old:
Description of drawing
Upon the flat stone in the chancel, the pictures of a churchman, and with this coate and inscription:
Description of drawing
In the middle yle of the curch stands a faire altar tombe of
a. These coats are so recorded by Nash, from Habingdon's MS.
blew marble; the top is inlayed with brasse, with the pictures of a man in armor, in the forme of the Black Prince, and a woman. Five shields, three on the west end, wheereof two gone, and two at the east. Description of drawing
The inscription was on the verge, circumscribed; this remanynes onely, north side:
........ arius (a) Anglie, qui obiit 13 Apr. 1445, quor' a.p.d.a.
South yle of the church, a flat stone; the inscription was circumscribed in brasse; four shields, but gone. This remaynes east end:
[uxoris] sue, filie et heredis Roberti Olney armig'i. quiquidem.....
Under the three steps which ascent the east end is a farie charnel house with many bones.
Three myles from Evesholme towards Worcester.
Within the south wall chancel is an arch, old, with a shield, but no mention of a tombe.
This is newly written in the wall:
In obitum Joh'is Derbey, defuncti 2. Martij, 1609, ao etat. sue 52.
This coate is painted in the old escocheons, Azue, a garb or.
Mr. Darbey now lives in this parish, where Lord Bernard lay. 100l per annum.
These coates following are in old glasse in the hall windowe, and the dyning roome windowe of the parsonage howse neare the church of Fladbury, a faire large old and stately parsonage.
Hall window: Description of drawing
Description of drawing
Everyone of the former coates held in the hands of an engel, and two little boyes of each side at bottome supporting them.
These are old as the former in the dyning roome windowes: Description of drawing
In most of the panes, written in scroll: Emanuel.
Every Midlent Sunday is a great day at Worcester, when all the children and godchildren meet at the head and cheife of the family and have a feast. They call it the Mothering-day. (a)
The parson's wife of Fladbury, a young woman often carrying a milke-payle on her head in the street, - so far from pride.
a. See Band's Popular Antiquities.
Friday, July. the King and the army marched from thence thorough Brodway, then over the Cotswold neare Shudeley [Sudeley] Castle, the seate of the lord Chandos, from whence the rebells gave us two great shott. That night, at one of the clock, the King got to his quarters, a poore howse in Coverley [Coberly]. Mr. Dutton owes the manor howse, being a very old one. A small church with this coate in many of the windowes, old: Description of drawing
In the north wall of the chancel lyes the statue of a man cross legged; in the south yle a woman.
In the middle yle another, and a child by her; all cutt in stone, and lye flat on the ground.
This night wee lay in the wett feild without any provision. Wee made this march, from four of the clock in the morning to one the next night, without any bayte or rendesvouz.
In the hall windowes of mr. Dutton's howse these coates: Description of drawing
In the low roome: Description of drawing
Description of drawing
In a lodging roome very old, every coate thus underwritten in base French: Description of drawing (a)
a. These armorial bearings may be eferred to the marriage of Florence, one of the daughters of William Darell by his wife Elizabeth, who was daughter and heir of Thomas Calston of Littlecote, co. Wilts, and who married Thomas á Bruges or Bridges of Coberly. The old manor-house has been long since taken down, and every vestige of the stained glass destroyed or disposed of.
Satterday, July 12. His Majestie marched from Coverley, co. Gloucester, to Sapperton, and spent all the day in that short march, but six or seven myle. Sapperton is a small church, and the manor house being large, of free stone, belonging to Sir Henry Poole; a brave sweet seat and gallant parke. This family owes the royalty of seven hundreds in this county; eleven or twelve myle from Gloucester.
The King's troope quartered at Dagleworth, belonging also to Poole, two myle from Cirencester.
Sunday, the 13th of July, 1643. His Majestie and his army marched from thence to Badmington, a faire stone howse of the Lord Somerset's, now his daughter's, in the county of Wiltes, about twelve or thirteen myle.
In the middle way, at the rendesvouz, two foot-soldiers were hanged on the trees in the hedge-row, for pillaging of the country villages. The whole army of horse and foot marched by the bodyes. The troope was quartered that night at Nettleton, six myles from malmesbury, a garrison of the rebels taken by Massye from his Majestie, whereof Mr. Henry Howard, son to the Earle of Berks, was governor. At the ame time, about six weekes since, Massye tooke Beverston Castle, neare which castle the King's whole army marched this day. The owner of this castle is Sir Richard Ducie.
On Satterday night two of the King's captaynes of horse, viz. Captain Plowman and Captain (blank) fell out, and P. basely ran him thorough on horseback, but fled ymediately.
Wee heare that Waller was now about Daventry in Northamptonshire, very weake; Essex neare Exeter.
Monday, his Majestie marched from thence throrough Marsfield, co. Wilts; thence to Lansdowne famous for the beating of the rebels under the command of Waller, 1643; thence to Bathe that night, where his Majestie being mett at the bottom of the hill going downe into the towne by the Lord Hopton, Sir Thomas Bridges the governor and sheriffe of Somerset, and divers other gentlemen. his Majesty stayed til Wednesday morning, and thence he marched to
page 31 (Please click the next sub heading titled 'July 1644')
Mells, the howse of Sir John Horner. In this march two hanged for plundering.