Sir Richard Molyneux
About the regiment
Join us
Rag Bag
Latest Additions
The Cavalier in Exile
Richard Symonds Diary
April 1644
July 1644
August 1644
September 1644
Wilmott's disgrace
October 1644
November 1644
June 1645
July 1645
August 1645
October 1645
Shop on-line

Thursday, Sept. 5°. His Majestie marched from Liskerd in Cornwall, to Tavestock, com. Devon, neare Plymouth. Two tr[oops] at Peter Tavie parish, three myles farther. This day Sir Richard Grenvile, by the King's appointment, sent a trumpet in his Majesties name to Plymouth to render the towne.

Friday 6°. The trumpeter returned with this answer, but first abused and imprisoned: that they would send an answere by one of their drummers.

                          Tavestock Church, com. Devon.

East window, south yle, chancel, this, not old: Description of drawing

Against the south wall, chancel, a faire and stately monument with the statue of a judge: (a) Description of drawing

a Engraved in the Gentleman's Magazine for September 1844.

page 79

These two are in the north yle window, east end: Description of drawing

Against the north wall, north yle of the chancel, is a faire white monument, two statues of men and this shield, no inscription, not painted, one statue of a woman. Description of drawing

It was for Sir John Faye [Fitz], who hath a faire howse in this parish, standing on the west side of towne called Fays [fitz] ford. Now Sir Richard Grenvill owes it in right of  his wife.

Neare the church, and upon the bank of the Stony [Tavy] river, stands the remnants of the abbey of Tavestock, now belonging to the Earl of Bedford.

This coate and crest are carved upon the roofe of the porch going into the hall of the abbey:

page 80

Description of drawing

These are painted, old, over a doorway in the hall: Description of drawing

Whitchurch [Whitechurch] Church, these, pretty old, in small: Description of drawing

West window in the belfray, these, older: Description of drawing

In the churchyard, two tombes for the Radfords, lately buried, no great estate. This coate is carried on both: Description of drawing

Three myles from Tavestock is a small village called Samford [Sampford Spiney]; in the church nil. The manor belongs to Sir Francil Drake, nephew and heir to Siir Francis D. the seaman.

Munday the 9° Sept. His Majestie with his troopes of guard, &c. and foot army went to Rubert [Roborough] Downe neare the Beacon, four myles from Plymouth. the Qheenes regiment of horse, commanded by Sir John Campsfeild their colonel, was sent to face the towne. Parties of the rebels' horse came out and followed his reare, when he drew off at night all to quarters: Lord Bernard's troope to Beere parish [Beere Ferrers, vulgo Ferris]. an island in Devonshire.

a. These are the arms of Hugh Oldham, Bishop of Exeter. He had frequent disputes with the Abbot of Tavistock, whom he excommunicated, and died in 1519.

page  81

                                Beere Churche, com. Devon.

In the church and chancel windowes, this coate is often, exceedingly old: Description of drawing

Neare this church is an old stone howse, which antiently was very large; a towre imbattayld standing, now habitable; 'tis the manor howse.

Mountjoy Blount, Earle of Newport, is owner of this island, worth 1000l. per annum.

In this island of Beere are many silver mynes: none els knowne but in this place. The other mynes round about in cornwall and the adjacent part of Devon are all tynn. These tynn mynes have not been used since Queene Elizabeth's time; they are of vast depth.

Tuesday, 10 Sept. His Majesties army and Prince Maurice's of foot, and some horse, marched towards Plymouth, and with the Queenes regiment of horse, Earle of Northampton's regiment, and the 3 troopes of the life guards.

At 12 of the clock both armyes off foot marched with drums beating and colors flying and tooke possssion of the ground neare the workes, under mercy of the enemyes cannon, which played upon them as they went. Wee planted many of our cannon under a hedge within little more then halfe cannon shott. Many great shott on both sides.

Wednesday kept the same ground. In the morning the King sent one of his owne trumpets with propositions of treaty, whome they kept that day.

At night the King sent a drummer for the same purpose.

Thursday the returne of those two was expected. At night the trumpet returned, much abused, and would have taken away his horse, and told him they would hang him if he came agen.

Friday came newes to the leaguer that Barnstaple, a garrison of the rebells in this county, of their yeilding to his Majestie, leaving their armes, &c. and marche away with colour, &c.

Satterday 15° September. In the night our soldjers gave the

page 82

enemy stong alarmes and cryd, Fall on, fall on the enemy. Shott thousands of musket, and many peices of cannoon, as was the severall night before. Betweene 6 and 7 morning his majesties army, &c. with drums beating, and colors flying, marched off, leaving the seige. But Sir Richard Grenvill, with 30 or 40 Cornish, is appointed to lye at Plymton and make workes to stopp them from foraging into the country.

This morning the rogues followed the reare commanded by Lord Northampton; little or no hurt, onely the basest language.

The King's regiment to their quarters at Peter Tavie. His Majestie to Tavestock that night in Mr. Glanvile's howse in the towne.

Munday, 17o Septmenber. The King with his troopes of guard, (over whome the Lord Bernard Stuart is made Captain Generall, and of all his majesties horse guards, by commission dated at Boconnock Aug. 20, 1644,) marched by Lidford this day, where the water runs so low and deepe under the bridge before you come to the towne as 'tis scarce to be seene unles in one place betweene two craggy rocks.

In this towne is the Stannary Court, kept properly for the tyn myners, but brings in all. A court of vast priviledges. A maior towne, about 16 or 18 howses in it.

His Majestie lay this night at Okehampton, the howse he lay in as he came into the West. Rattenbury, an attorney, owes it. The troope at north Tawton, 5 myles farther.

Okehampton Church, com. Devon.

East window, chancel, old: Description of drawing

South window, church, this: Description of drawing

page 83

A Shelfe for bread like a monument: this coate and a long insscription against the north pillar of this church: Description of drawing

Tuesday, Sept. 18, 1644, his Majestie dyned at Crediton. That night to Exeter in greater state then ordinary.

His troopes to Brod Clist, 4 myles distant.

At this place wee rested till Munday following.

The King's army of ffoot marched by Colhampton [Collumpton].

The Coates of Armes and Monuments within the antient Cathedral Church or Exeter, 20 Sept. 1644.

These are in old glasse, about the age of the armes in the cathedral at Worcester.

South [?north] chappel, above the quier, where Bishop Careyes monument is: Description of drawing

a. Sir Hugh Courtenay, one of the founders of the Garter.

b. John, Baron Northwode, married the sister of Bishop Grandison.

What remains of these coats are noted in the Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectual Society, vol. iii. p. 105. For the 'rebels sacrilege' at Exeter see Ryves's Mercurius Rusticus, p. 158, &c. 5th edition, and which, if not exaggerated, must have been on their second occupation of the city.

page 84

These coates stand in this manner in the top of the window, north yle of the quier: Description of drawing

These and the reste of the painting are both of an age.

At the bottome, the picture of the blew preist with a bald pate and beades, and this under him: Willielmus de Weston me fecit.

South yle windowes of the body of the cathedrall.

First window: Description of drawing (a)

Second window: Description of drawing

Aloft these: Description of drawing

Third window: Description of drawing

a. He became Baron Grandison on the death of his brother, and died in 1369.

page 85

Second window: Description of drawing

Fourth window: Description of drawing

The picture of a monke: Description of drawing

Fifth window: Description of drawing

Sixth window: Description of drawing

These are aloft in the north side of the body of the church: Description of drawing

Second window, beginning eastward: Description of drawing

page 86

Third window: Description of drawing

Fourth window: Description of drawing

Fifth window: Description of drawing

Lowest window: Description of drawing

These in the low window, north side of the body of the church.

a. These seem to be variations of the coat of Weston. Vide antea.

page 87

First window next to quier: Description of drawing

Second window: Description of drawing

First window, below the doore: Description of drawing

Second window: Description of drawing

Third window: Description of drawing

North windows aloft: Description of drawing

Window below the doore, aloft: Description of drawing

page 88

Third and lowest: Description of drawing

These in the west window: Description of drawing

Betweene the pillars of the south yle in the body of the quier [?nave] stands a lofty altar monument, very faire; on the top the effigies of a man and woman; she on the right hand, he like Black Prince. On his breast three torteaux, and a label of three points. (a)

Neare this in the body of the quier lyes a flat large stone inlayed with brasse, a picture of a man in complete armour, chayned at the necke; these coates; the inscription is circumscribed. Description of drawing

Under his head a helme, and forth of a crowne a bunch of ostrich feathers. (b)

South yle, againste the partition of the quire, an old marble altar tombe; written over it, Description of drawing

a. Monument of Hugh 2nd Earl of Devon, and Margaret Bohun.

b. Monument of Sir Peter Courtenay, son of the Earl, K.G.

page 89

One lying crosst-legged, drawing a sword, and a shield on his left arme painted. Description of drawing

Next him another of the same forme.


A cap, like a helme, lying under his head; no creast. Description of drawing

This lookes into the church, but stands out of the church, because he was excommunicated

Another, south chappel; a faire monument; statues of a man and woman. Sir John Gilbert. Description of drawing

Another, the statue of a bishop, and this coate; onely this inscription: Description of drawing

North side these, upon this monument:

See of Exeter.

a. The Bishop was of earlier date. he died in 1150.

page 90

Description of drawing

Three shoveller's heads erased, "Lacy." Description of drawing

In the Lady chappel beyond the quier a stately faire monument, the picture of a judge. Description of drawing

Another monument for Description of drawing

Under the south wall in an arch lyes a statue cutt in marble, very are work: a bishop, very old.

A very stately monument of alablaster, the statue of a bishop:

                                        Hic jacet Edm. Stafford.

Lord Chancellor of England.

      Arms of Bishop Stafford.

These coates are painted on the monument: Description of drawing

These I beleive were contemporaneans, whose coates are painted on his monument. Description of drawing

page 91

Against the north wall in a chappel, a stately monumennt; a man and woman, he in armes:Description of drawing

Under him in armes a knight lying crosse-legd drawing a sword, and this with the bearing carved on his left arme:

Or, three lions passant sable [Carew].

Sir Peter Carew, knight, elder brother to the Lord Carew, Baron of Clopton.

His coate over his armes, gules, turned up ermines; which Sir Peter was slayne in Ireland.

Very many matches and quarterings of the Carewes upon this monument; among the rest this:

A small chappel, north yle, neare the Ladyes chappel.

The statue of a man in armes.

These armes in the window of the chappel: [viz. Courtenay, with a label.] Description of drawing

On the outside Speke's eagle is carved, and this coate too: Description of drawing

Against the north wall an armed man crosse-legd, drawing a sword, a shield on his left arme, these two bends wavie sable are painted: Description of drawing

The picture of a cripple holding a horse, cutt by him. Vide Stow in Cripplegate.

Another neare the former.

[Anthoney] Harvey, Esq. [died 1564]. Description of drawing

page 92

Bishop Lacyes playne monument; this coate over it:


Against the said monument of Stapleton is a faire monument for his brother, a bishop, between this and the quier: Description of drawing

Divers verses:

     Annos Eduardus ter senos ille secundus, &c.

          Vide Speed's Chron. p.574, vita Edw. 2di.

Another small one, divers matches of the Carewes.

     Peter Carew, Eq. Aurat. ob, in Hibernia, 27 Nov. 1575.

A monument of one consumed to nothing but skin and bones: brother to Bishop lacy; this coate:


Divers flat stones both in the quier and body of the church; as also rownd about in the yles and east chappell are divers flat stones whose inscriptions are cutt into the stone of text letters, divers with coates of armes cutt also.

None that I observed had any inlayed brasse in them but onely Courtney. (a)

The story of the Old and New Testament, especially of Our Saviour, is very anciently and curiously painted on the outside of the portion of the quier next the body of the church.

Much abused by the rebells when they tyrannized in Exeter.

Another monument in the north crosse yle between the body of the church and quier, of a bishop consumed to skin and bones like a skeleton.

The east end of the quier is painted very curiously with a temple, Moses and Aron, &c.

In this steeple is one of the biggest bells in England.

The rebells when they had this citty digged up a monument in the south chappel where Bishop Carye lyes, and they found a coffin of stone with the bones of a man whole togeather. Upon the breast lay a silver chalice, which they tooke away.

a. There is one other still remaining, viz. that of William Langeton, 1413.

page 93

This coate is under the picture of a king at the west end on the outside of the cathedrall: Description of drawing

and upon the south porch also.

Upon the pulpit in the body of the church are divers coates of the nobility, lately painted. Description of drawing

Cornets making at Exeter for a Danish lord raysing a regiment for Prince [Charles erased ]:


A standard sable bearing for device an open with clasps, "upon the booke 'Inseparabilia,' " over all a crown enfiled by a sceptre in bend dexter and a naked sword in bend sinister, saltire-wise, the whole within a circular label with this motto, "Dieu comforte mon coeur, et console mon ame."

A standard sable, bearing for device, on a mound vert a column erect proper, surmounted by a crown enfiled by a sceptre in bend dexter and a naked sword in bend sinister, saltire-wise, hilted or, on the dexter side and near the staff this motto, "Hoc medio."

A standard sable, bearing for device, on a mound vert a pyramid reversed argent, surmounted by a ducal crown or; on either side, the letters placed singly from top to bottom, the words CONSTANTIA CORONATRICE.


Over the doore of the howse right anent the west doore of the cathedral these carved in stone: Description of drawing

Lord Hopton's cornet for his troope of guard. Description of drawing

page 94

Broad Clist Church, in com. Devon, 4 myles north-east of Exon.

A very faire neate church. These very large and faire in the east window south yle, about the age of henry 7. Description of drawing

Upon the crowne or, a bunch of ostrich feathers or, thereon a falcon, as I remember.

North window church: Description of drawing

Divers other matches of other families, which I remember not.

Against the north wall of the north yle is a faire large monument, the body of an armed knight lying along sidewayes, the monument of Sir John Ackland, father to Mr. Ackland now sheriffe of this county, lives at Colum John, a howse in this parish so denominated from the river Colum.

Another monument in the south yle for Sir John Drewe, of Killerton, in this parish. Now Mr. Ackland owes it.

Upon the gallery in this church are the armes of all the contributors to that building, lately done.

A priory in this parish.

A great howse by this church built by the Chidleyes.

Between this parish and Exon is a faire parke paled in belonging to Sir john Bampfeild; an ancient seate and faire howse belonging of a long time to that family in the parish of Poltimore.

Ease window chancel these two: Description of drawing

South window, chancel, aloft, old: Description of drawing

page 95

These following are very large and faire in the east window south yle chancel:

Description of drawing (a)

Description of drawing

Description of drawing

Description of drawing

North window, north yle chancel, these: Description of drawing

Middle north window of the curch these two: Description of drawing

Next window adjoyneing these two, very old:


a. Henry Earl of Devon, created Marquess of Exeter 1525, K.G.

page 96

Description of drawing

Within the south wall in a faire arch chancel, lyes the statue of an armed knight lying along modo Edward b. pr. [sc. Black Prince].

Under his head a helme, forth of it a lyon's pawe, at his feet a lion. Diverrs shields, but all the painting gone; no embossing.

Rownd a flat stone, chancel, in text letters, cutt in, and this coate cutt also:


     Hic jacet Will's Chudlegh, Armiger, qui obiit 29 die mens' Jan. 1515; eujus aie pp. d.a.

Two flat stones adjoyning, one for Thomas Chappel, of Brockhill, gent. ob. 1611.

Another chappel, buried 1605.

Against the north wall a faire monument for Sir John Ackland, sans inscription: Description of drawing

Upon his seates these also are carved.

South yle chancel, 2 statues. On a monument: Description of drawing

In the window of the chancel: Description of drawing

Against the north wall, chancel, a small monument: Description of drawing

page 97

An old paire of organs now used in the church.

This is carved, old, in the roofe of the south porch: Description of drawing

Munday September  24, 1644. his Majestie marched to Chard in com. Somerset, being twenty myles; his troope to (blank.)

This night wee heard that Waller was about Bridport in Dorsetshire, raising the Posse Com. with 2,000 horse and 1,500 dragoons.


This is a copy of the late Earle of Essex his march from St. Albon's into Oxford, &c. 1644, as it was found in one of the pockets of there soldjers at Listithiel.


     From St. Albon's to Beconsfield.

     From  B. to Henley.

     From H. to Reading.

     From R. to Wickham co. Oxon.

     From W. to Bradfield in com. Berks.

     From Bradfeild to Blubery.

     From B. to Abingdon to my Lady Powel's howse: from thence wee faced Oxford, and so to Islip, where Sir Ralph Hopton's army lay within two myles of us, and the next morning, being Holy Thursday, we had a  skirmish with them untill the next Munday.


     From Islip to Woodstock.

     From W. to Chipping Norton.

     From C. to Barfoot [?Burford].


     From B. to Faringdon, June 8.

     From F. to Lamburne, June 10.

     From L. to Bedding [?Bedwin]. June 11.

page 98

     From B. Amfeild [?Amport], June 13.

     From A. to Compton, June 14. [?Compton Chamberlain].

     From C. to Blanford.


     From B. to Dorchester, June

     From D. to Bridport.

     From B. to Crewkerne, June 23.


     From C. to Chard, June 24.

     From C. to Axmister, June 30.

     From A. to Honyton, July1.


     From H. to Colhampton, July 2.

     From C. to Teverton, July 3.

     From T. to Kirton, July 20.

     From K. to Bowe, July 21.

     From B. to Okehampton, July 22.

     From T. to Horsebridge, July 26.


     From H. to Linkolnhorne, July 27.

     From L. to Bodman, July 28.

     From B. to Listidwell, August 2. {Lostwithiel].

From thence like rogues to the Divell.


The troop at Knoll, a myle from Chard; afterwards wee removed to Southpetherton.

                     Southpetherton, com. Somerset.

These two, old, in a howse window where wee quartered: Description of drawing

page 99

In Mr. Sands his howse, (parlor,) old: Description of drawing

Case his coate, was owner of this howse called Cassells, 150 yeare since. In the hall there, these, as old: Description of drawing

Cancel window, (a) old: Description of drawing

East window of the chancel these, at bottome, large: Description of drawing

a. All the armorial glass here, as generally elsewhere, has been destroyed or abstracted.

page 100

East window, corss yle of this church, for the steeple is in the middle like a cathedral; the church every way answerable in fairenes of structure. Description of drawing

South window Description of drawing

In the east window, north crosse yle, these, exceeding old and large, at bottome of the window, under pictures of saints: Description of drawing

These of the same age, north window, same north yle, not so large: Description of drawing

The picture of a woman over this last, ona Kat'ina [Dau] beney. Description of drawing

Uppermost, north window, north yle: Description of drawing

page 101

Second north window: Description of drawing

Upon a flat stone in the south crosse yle, the picture of a woman and this inscription in brasse, two shields, both gone. Description of drawing

In the middle of the same south yle stands a lage altar tombe, two foote high, four shields carved round about the sides; the top is fairely inlayed with brasse, the picture of an armed knight, under his head the creast following, and a woman. Arched over thear heads. Four shields, the two first gone; on the west end over thear heads: Description of drawing

They call him Earle of Bridgwater. (a)

The inscription which was circumscribed is gone. Description of drawing

These verses under their feete [still remaining]. Description of drawing

Against the east wall, south yle, a large clownish monument: Description of drawing

Another playner though handsomer monument, north yle, church.

     Memorie aeternae Jacobi Ayshe, Generosi, qui cum ad 28 pie vixisset

           annu in Domino placide ob. Maii 5, 1626.

a. Henry Lord Daubeney, created Earl of Bridgewater 1538.

page 102

Description of drawing

The monuments, organs, made eight year since, &c. were torne by Essex his horse a fortnight since.

     Lord Arundel of Wardour is owner of this towne.

     'Tis a market towne, 6 myles from Evill [Yeovil].

     Now the family of Dawbeny live at Crewkerne.


Colonel John Fleetwood's regiment of horse of the Earle of Cleveland's brigade, September, 1644.

Leiftenant-Colonel John Stuart, Scot; Major Cornelius Calakan, Irishman.

First Captain, John Lowe, Nottingham.

Second Captain, John bill, fil. imprimat. (a) [sic orig.]

Third Captain, William Alford, Major of the late Earle of Cleveland's brigade. Standard gules, 160 men.

Earle of Cleveland's brigade consists of 6 Colonels

     Colonel Earle of Cleveland, which was Colonel Caries200
Colonel Sir Nicholas Crispe  80
Colonel John Fleetwood160
Colonel ______ Hamilton160
Colonel Richard Thornhill100
Colonel______ Culpeper, who was Leiftenant-Colonel to Sir William Clerke___

                              Martock Church.

East window, chancel, very large and old, these four following: Description of drawing

a. The Editor is indebted to sir F. Madden for the suggestion that this officer was the son of Mr. John Bill the King's Printer.

page 103

Description of drawing

South yle chancel. Description of drawing

South window, same yle: Description of drawing

North window chancel: Description of drawing

North yle, church: Description of drawing

page 104

South yle, Church: Description of drawing

This is very old, south yle window: Description of drawing

The south and north windows of this church aloft, middle yle, are full of escocheons, about ten in a window, six windows on a side, toto about 120 coates. These are some of them. Description of drawing

This is carved in stone at the foot of the studd, [?corbel] that supports the roofe: Description of drawing

This is a very large faire church as ever I saw in this county.

A large paire of organs north side of the chancel.

This parish of Martock is a hundred of itselfe.

The howses are built of a brave ffree stone, colour of umber, here growing.

No gentleman lives in this parish, a low deepe rich grownd. the richest parish in this county.

No flat stones or monuments with any inscriptions in this church.