Home
Sir Richard Molyneux
About the regiment
Join us
Events
Rag Bag
History
Links
Letters
Latest Additions
The Cavalier in Exile
Richard Symonds Diary
April 1644
July 1644
August 1644
September 1644
Wilmott's disgrace
October 1644
November 1644
June 1645
July 1645
August 1645
October 1645
Bibliography
Shop on-line
Guestbook
   
 

page 181

I told 30 and more at the breach, as many within as without. Every street had some. I believe 200 on both sides were not killed.

Wee lost Colonel St. George. Major Bunnington, gentleman pensioner, shott in the eye just as he was on the top of the ladder. 28 or 30 officers. Major of the Prince Rupert's firelocks.

The army of horse faced in bodyes all night in severall places. About day, about 10 of the enemy gott out and escaped by the river side; were followed.

                   ___________________________________________

The King's Army of Horse was in this order this yeare 1645 before Leicester. May.

The King's lifeguards, consisting of two troopes, king's and Queenes.

His Highnes Prince Rjupert's lifeguards of horse. One troope commanded by Sir Richard Crane.

His highnes Prince Maurice's lifeuard. One troope consisting af above 100 gentlemen, &c. and reformados, commanded by the Lord Molineux.

Prince Rupert's regiment of horse, consisting of 400, 8 troopes, commanded by Sir Thomas Dalyson. Leift.-Colonel William Legge, not Governour of Oxford.

Lord Loughborough's regiment, blew colours, 3 troopes, 100.

Colonel horatio Caryes regiment, not 200, independent.

The bodye of horse was devided into 4 brigades; 2 Southerne, 2 Northerne horse.

James Earle of northampton's [brigade], consisting of these four regiments:-

Queenes regiment, commanded by Sir John Campsfeild, 150.

Prince Maurice's regiment, commanded by Leift.-Colonel Guy Moulsworth, 150. Major Robert Legg.

Each of Northampton's owne regiment, 250.

Sir William Vaughan's regiment; 'twas Sir Thomas Lucas' regiment in Ireland, consisting of 7 troopes, 400 in all.

page 182

150, 250, 150, 400 ____ Total 850 [950].

Colonel Thomas howard's brigade, consisting of these 7 regiments:

Colonel Samuel Sandys, of Worcestershire, Governour of Worcester, consisting of 150.

Colonel Thomas Howard, 80.

Colonel Leveson, governour of Dudley Castle, 150.

Colonel Bagott, Governour of Lichfield, 200.

Colonel Sir Robert Byron, 100.

Colonel Sir henry Bard, Governour of Campden Howse, 100, commanded [by] ......Barker.

Colonel Worthen, were Colonel Marrowes horse, 100. Toto of this brigade 880.

Major-General Sir Marmaduke Langdale's brigade, divided into 3 divisions.

Sir William Blakeston's brigade, and so is the Northerne horse divided into 2 brigades. Toto 1,500.

Sir Richard Wyllis his horse from Newarke, 1,200.

                      Suma totalis of the whole army of horse.

King and Queenes troopes130Colonel Howard's brigade    880
Prince Rupert's140Sir Marmaduke Langdale's and
Prince Maurice120Sir William Blackston's brigades1,500
Prince Rupert's regiment of horse400Sir Richard Willys1,200
Lord Loughborough1005,520
Colonel Carye200
Earl of Northampton's brigade850

                                                LEICESTERSH.

The names and places of the dwellings of the cheife famelyes.

K. Earl of Huntingdon, lives at Ashby.

K. Sir Henry Hastings, of Branston, neare Leicester.

Lord Beaumont, of Cole Overton [Sapcote 2nd Viscount].

Sir Henry hastings, Bart. of Humberston, lives private.

K. Henry hastings, Baron of Loughborough.

page 183

R. Sir Henry Beaumont, of Stoughton [cousin of Lord Beaumont].

K. Sir Thomas Beaumont, of Gracedieu.

K. John Skevington, of LK. [Skeffington].

Sir Richard Hawford [Halford], of Wistowe. At London.

K. Sir John Bale, of Carlton, with the Lord Loughborough.

R. Sir Arthur Haslerig, of Nosely, Knight of the shire.

R. Henry Gray, Earl of Stamford, of Bradgate, 3 myle from Leicester.

K. Mr. Henry Nevill, of Holt, neare Halaton. 2 sons with Lord Loughborough.

K. Sir John Pate, neare Melton.

K. Sir Henry Skipwith of Cotes.

R. Sir William Herrick, she. R. (a)

R. Mr. Purfrey [Purefoy], of [?Caldecote].

R. Mr. Cotton, of Laughton, great with the Earl of Stamford.

R. Mr. Bent, of Enderby.

R. [Thomas Ford], Grey of Groby, [son of the Earl of Stamford].

R. Mr. Sharpe of Rolleston, neare Hallaton, coelebs.

K. Sir Geo. Villers, of [Brokesby].

R.....Palmer, high Sheriffe the first year the Parliament began, whome the Lord Loughborough succeeded.

Sir Wolstan Dixie, one of the chiefe in this county, of Market Bosworth.

Sir Richard Roberts of Thorpe Langton.

At the taking of Leicester by his Majestie, these garrisons of he regels were slighted by themselves:

Burley Howse, the onely garrison of Rotel' [Rutland].

Cole Overton. The king commanded Lord L. to burne it, but they gott into it agen.

Bagworth howse.

a. It is difficult to interpret this, unless the writer meant to stigmatize the wife also as a Rebel. That Sir William was plundered by the Royalists, and that his wife was a most exemplary and religious woman, may be seen by reference to Nichols's Leicestershire, vol. iii.p.155,&c.

page 184

Barton Howse (neare Tedbury) in Debysh.

His majestie quartered this Friday night at Leicester Abbey, the Countesse of Devon's howse.

                     Ashby-de-la Zouch Church.

East window, chancel. Description of drawing.

In the south chappel is a stately altar monument of alablaster, the two statues of a man and woman lying on the surface; he very old, with a long beard; in armes, and the robe and badge of the garter on the left shoulder; under his head this creast, vizt. a bull's head sable. Round about the verge of the monument is an English inscription in old text:

Here lyeth, &c., Francis Earl of Huntingdon, Lord, &c. Knight of the Garter: ob. 1561. (a) Many escocheons with large quarterings.

Description of drawing

Two or three new monuments of other families lately sett in the walls, small.

In the old hall windowes of Ashby this cote often sett up, new: Description of drawing

His Majestie rested at Leicester Abbey, the army of foot in Leicester, the horse round about in dorpes and villages. The whole county was summoned in to Leicester to list themselves under the Lord Loughborough; Colonel George Lisle was made Leiftenant General of this shire under the lord Loughborough, and Colonell Apleyard is made Governour.

a. Francis the second Earl, and his wife Catherine Pole.

page 185

Munday, June 2nd, his Majestie knighted Colonel Sir Mathew Apleyard, Colonel Sir Richard Page, and Major Bridges, Major to Page.

Because Oxford was beseiged, his Majestie turnd his course thitherward.

Wednesday, June 4th, his Majestie marched to the rendesvouz at Newton Harcourt neare Great Glyn [Glen], the way to Harborough; the King quartered at Wistowe, Sir Richard Hawford [Halford] lives there. His horse guards at Kilby and Foston. Another Hawford lives at Likby. H.W. et moy avec Col. Sm. by Noseley, Sir Arthur Haselrigs parish, not above two cottages besides his, a sweet place.

A neate chruch, the windowes very old and many old coates in the windowes, and old words in yellow under every coate.

Second window south chancel: Description of drawing

First window, divers shields more, very old.

Against the north wall in the chancel is a monument with two statues for....Haselrigg. Description of drawing

                        Glyn [Glen] Magna Church.

East window, north yle church, old: Description of drawing

A flat stone neare the window circumscribed in old letters; nothing els.

here you may see twelve of thirteen chruches at once, they stand so thick, and very small parishes.

Stretton Magna and Parva Church, nil; rolston, nil; godeby Church, nil.

page 186

Sir Richard Willys went back to Newarke with four hundred horse; the rest march with the king.

The county of leicester is generally champaine pastures and erable, little of no wast, and small wood; some quick hedges, and the parishes stand less then one myle distant.

Wednesday. The Northerne horse left his Majesties army, and nowithstanding his promise to them on the word of a King he would go into Yorkshire after Oxford was releived; but upon persuasion returned and marched with us.

Thursday June 5. His Majestie marched to the rendesvouz neare Haverburgh [Market Harborough], com. Northampton, which was the head-quarters this night.

Colonel S[andys?] to Desborough, com. North'ton.

                      Desborough Church.

East window, chancel, old and very large: Description of drawing

Upon a flat stone inlayed with brasse, chancel: Description of drawing

This knot carved upon the stayre east up to the rood-loft. Painted also in the church. [A drawing of the Stafford knot.]

Mr. Pulton is now lord of this towne.

West window, belfry: Description of drawing

                         Garrisons in Northamptonshire.

R. Northampton.

R. Rockingham Castle. Sir John Norwich is governour, Lewis Lord Watson, Baron of R. owes it.

page 187

                      Garrisons in co. Buckinghamsh:

R. Newport Paganall, also a garrison of the rebells.

                        Rushton Chuches, com. Northampt.

There are two churches in this small village, a myle from Desborough; one called St Peter's, which is next the faire stone howse of the Lord Cockaines, the other, St. Andrewes.

In St. Peter's Church. An altar tombe, and upon it the statue of a man, long beard, short haire; in armes, and a long loose gowne or coate over it, and a sword and belt over all; his helme and creast under his head.

Monument of Tresham built part of this faire howse, and also the pretty Warren howse.

Sir Thomas was father to him, in the 5 Nov. plott. Description of drawing

This coate is carved on the house for Tresham, and this also for Cockaine: Description of drawing

                   Rushton St. Andrew Church.

East window, chancel, very old:Description of drawing

East window, north yle chancel, this very old: Description of drawing

In the middle of this chappel or yle is an altar tombe, playne, two foot high, and thereon a faire and large statue cutt in grey marble, in chayn armor, crosse-legged, a loose coate and a belt and sword over all, he drawing it. On his left arme a large shield three foot in length. The parson told me it was for one Goldingham. some-

page 188

tyme lord of this place; and that this was a large towne, but decayed since inclosures began there.

Satterday, June 7, 1645. His Majestie marched to Daventree, co. North'ton p'd. The army of foot lay in the feild. His horse guards went to quarters at Staverton, one myle distant. Ajourduy R.S. readm. [sic orig. perhaps "readmitted," but to what dies not appear.]

              Dedford [Dodford] Church, com. North'ton.

Two myles from Daventree towne, Northton.

South window in the church, in this position [i.e. the shields disposed three in first row, one in the second, and three in the third]: Description of drawing

East window chancel: Description of drawing

Upon a very broad altar tombe of grey marble, betweene the pillars of the north yle church, lyes the statue of a knight in mayle chayne armour, a loose coate and sword over all; his left leg over his right; his right hand drawing his crosse-barrd sword,and upon his left arme a shield with barry of six peices vaire and....carved upon it very deepe; under his head a pillow. The vaire and escocheon of this forme. They call him lord of Kaine in Normandy.

Description of drawing

page 189

Under an arch in the north yle of the church lyes upon a low altar tombe the statues of two women, very old.

In the same north yle stands a faire altar tombe; on the top lyes the statue of a night in the fashiond armor of the Black Prince, a collar of S about his neck; his head bare, his haire cutt round like a dish, and lying upon his helmet, with a mantle.

Creast: a cap turned up ermine, on the top a demy man holding a sheild of ovall forme in his left hand. Description of drawing

The inscription is circumscribed, and the letters cutt in and black, in text.

             Hic jacet Joh'es Cressy miles d'nus istius
Ville, quondam capitaneus de Lyncux [Lisieux]
Orbef et Pontleusque in Norma'dia ac
Consiliarius d'ni Regis in Fran-, qui obiit
Aput Toue [Toul] in Lorenia iij die marcij an'o
D'ni M'cccc'xliiij. c. a. p. d. a.

This escocheon above on the west end, for the east end joynes to the wall: Description of drawing

These four shields on the north side: Description of drawing

In the south side: Description of drawing

page 190

Upon a flat stone the two statues of a man and woman inlayed in brasse, he in armes; two shields, both gone.

Hic jacet Joh'es Cressy armiger et Cistina ux' ejus, quiquid' J. obiit 1° Oct. 1414.

Another like one shield, gone:

Hic jacet Will's Wylde ar. et Cecilia mater Christine Cressy, quiquidem Will's ob. 23 Nov. 1422, c.a.p.d.a.

The manor of Dedford was the Staffords, next to Cressy, then the Wyrleyes, woh now owe it, and have had this six descents. (a)

Newes that Fairfax the enemies Generall and Browne the woodmonger fell out at the seige of Oxford and cudgelld one another, and that those forces stormed Bostall [Borstall] Howse, and weare beate off with the losse of 400 at least, and that night they raysd the seige, Browne to London to complaine; his men to Abingdon; Fairfax towards Bedfordsh. In this seige Oxford horse made a sally and tooke their whole guard at Hedyngton.

Certayne intelligence that Lord Goring near Taunton had met with Lord Roberts' forces, killed and taken 3,000, and had pennd up Skippon in a parke thereabouts.

Tuesday, June 10. A trumpett came from Fairfax for exchange of prisoners from Newport Paganell.

                       Garrisons in Warwickshire.

R. Warwick.

R. Coventree Citty. Barker Governour, a draper in the towne. Flower commands a troope there. A Committee governes.

R. Killingworth [Kenelworth] Castle.

R. Edgburston [Edgbaston] Howse, Mr. Middlemore's howse; the rogue Fox (b) pulld downe the church to make the workes.

R. Compton Howse, Purfrey son to Gam. Purfrey is Governour.

a. The celebrated Colley Cibber is deduced from the Wyrleyes and Keynes. See pedigree, Baker's Northamptonshire, vol. i. p. 356.

b. In a former page of the MS. (fol.8 b), where the "Garrisons in Warwickshire" were commenced but erased, this man is described as "Tinkar Fox governour, sometime tinkar, and livd in Woodstock."

page 191

R. Nutman's End, Mr. Chamblaines howse, of the Court of Wards.

R. Rushin Hall. Fox, G.

2,556l 13s. 1d. ob. this was halfe of the part of fower hundred thousand pounds this county was taxed at by them at London, toto 5,113l 6s 3d

Every fortnight this sume is paid in contribucion to those garrisons out of the shire.

The hundred of Knightloe in com. Warwicksh. paies every fortnight in contribucion 177l 10s 11d; to the garrisons of Warwick, Coventree, and Banbury; to Warwick halfe.

The King's guards to Willoughby, com. Warwick.

In Willoughby church, this onely, east window north yle:

ENGLAND.

Church is small.

This is also carved, old, on the chest: Description of drawing

Magdalen Coll. Oxon. is Lord of this village.

               Gentlemen of Warwickshire.

K. Earl of Northampton livd at Compton in the Hole. james Lord Compton, Knight of the shire, now Earle of N.

K. Earl of Chichester, (a) Dunsmore; at King's Newnham 3,000l. p. a. in this county, 4,000l. more at Abscourt, and other places.

K. Thomas Lord Lee at Stonley within a myle of Killingworth.

R. Lord [Monmouth] owes and lived at Killingworth Castle.

K. Sir Simon Clarke at Broome.

    Sir Edward Underhill.

K. Sir Rich. Shuckborough of S., now prisoner in Killingworth Castle, Knight of the shire, 200l. p. ann.

K. Sir William Bowden [Boughton], Knight and Baronet at Little Lawford, lives now at home, 1800l. p.ann.

a. Sir Francis Leigh, created Baron Dunsmore and Earl of Chichester.

page 192

K. Sir Clement Fisher [Packington] beyond Coventree.

R. Sir Thomas holt [of Aston].

R. Captain Comer [?Colemore], is made Sheriffe this yeare by the Rebells. One of no note.

R. Thomas Bowden, active.

R. John Purfrey [Purefoy], a Colonel of horse seated at Westow neare Tamworth, 300l.

R. Gam. Purfrey of Coventry, 200l. per ann., made justice of peace and quorum by the R. Captain of a foot company in Coventry.

R. Justice Combes, of Stratford-puon-Avon, sitts at home.

K. Sir Francis Nethersall [Nethersall [Nethersole], (now prisoner in Killingworth Castle,) near Tamworth, 400l. per. ann.

K. Mr. Bowden [Boughton] of Cawson, not in armes, 400l. per ann.

Mr. D[evereux] at Shistock [Shustock], 100l. per ann.

K. Mr. Chamberlaine of the Court of Wards, of Nutman's End, 1,000l. per ann.

                  Branston [Braunston] Chruch, com. North'ton.

North window, chancel, old: Description of drawing

A playne couse altar monument which has beene inlayed with brass, four shields, two pictures, all gone, in the chancel.

South window, south yle church, old: Description of drawing

A flat stone for one Moseley, ob. 1500 and od, sans armes.

Thursday the King was hunting a deare/ buck: when two myle of Daventree there came a strong alarme, so that the whole army was drawne on the Beacon Hill, and lay there that night.

Friday, June 13. Early in the morning (the convoy being

page 193

returned from Oxford, that being the cause of this unhappy stay here so long,) the whole army marched just back agen to Haverburgh [Market Harborough].

His Majestie lay at (blank).

King's troope at Tedingworth [Theddingworth] in com. Leic.

Certayne intelligence that Sir Thomas Fairfax was with all his forces neare Northampton, following of the King.

Satterday wee marched out of our quarters about two of the clock in the morning, and intelligence was that the enemy was very neare, and had beate up some quarters, at least given an alarme.

A generall rendesvouz of all his Majesties army this morning at Haverburgh at seven of the clock; wee marched in battalia back towards the enemy, who was then very neare; marching up the hills, wee discovered some of the enemyes horse, in parties.

About twelve of the clock the battailes joyned; they kept their grownd on the top of the hill, and wee marched up to them through a bottome full of furse bushes; they shott two peices of cannon, wee one: one of theirs was at the King's body of horse, where he was before. No question they had certayne intelligence where he was, for one that came in to the king's troope ran over to them, and they left all others to charge up to his body.

The King was accompanied this day with these peeres: the Duke of Richmond. Earl of Lindsay. George Lord Digby. Lord Bellasis. Earl of Kernwath [Carnwath] Scotus. Lord Astley.

The horse escaped to Leicester this afternoone, and were persued by a body of the enemyes horse and loose scowters, to Great Glyn, and there the Earle of Lichfield charged their loose men with halfe a score horse and beate them back.

Killed this battaile of Navesburge, Naseby, Navelsburth, in the navel of the Kingdome.

Sir Thomas Dalyson, Colonel of the Prince Rupert's regiment of horse (taken prisoner, and dyed).

Sir Richard Cave.

page 194

Sir Peter Browne of the King's troope, shott, taken prisoner and dyed.

The battaile consisted of three tertias of foot.

Colonel Sir Bernard Astley's consisted of these regiments: [not given].

Colonel Geroge Lisle's tertia consisted of these regiments:

Colonel Geroge Lisle.

Littleton, Leift.-Colonel, and was major of this tertia, was killed here.

Major Fowler.

Colonel Gilby.

Colonel Owen, absent.

Leift.-Colonel Roger Burges.

Colonel Sir Henry Bard's tertia of foot consisted of these regiments: [not given].

The King's regiment of life-guards, commanded by the Earle of Lindsey their Generall.

Colonel, Layton; Major, Markham.

"Six ensignes, silver."

1, Argent, the cross of St. Geroge gules; impaling, Gules, a lion passant or, in chief the motto DIEU ET MON DROIT.

2, The same; impaling, Gules, a rose or, seeded of the field, and surmounted by a regal crown of the second.

3, The same; impaling two roses in pale, each surmounted by a crown.

4, The same; impaling, Gules, a griffin rampant or.

5, The same; impaling (blank).

6, The same; impaling (blank).

Towards night this dismall Satterday, his Majestie, after the wounded were taken care for in Leicester, and that the two Princes were come safe to him and had taken order with that garrison, and left two regiments of horse there, viz. the Queenes and Colonel Caryes, he marched that night (for now wee had left running), to Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Sunday, June 15, 1645, his Majestie about ten of the clock in the morning left Ashby, and went to Lichfield that night. He lay in the close that night. The horse were quartered in villages round about, some in the citty.

page 195

Here the King left Colonel Bagott's regiment of horse; the stout governour left here, wounded in his right arme.

Monday, his Majestie marched to Wolverhampton. Tuesday to Bewdley. Earl of Lichfield to Neather Arley; Mr. Mucklo (a) lives there. Wednesday wee rested.

Thursday, 18 June, to Bramyard, com. Hereford, and to Hereford that night, twenty-six myle; this march was very bad way, hilly and woddy. Very poore churches and thin in this part of Worcestershire and Herefordshire. King's troope to Brinsop; afterwards to Pembridge.

Colonel Barnabas Scudamore, brother to the Lord S., is governour of hereford citty.

Mr. Coningsby was governour of Hereford first, (b) and when Sir William Waller came against it and shott a peice of cannon and killed one man 'twas rendred upon conditions. 2,500 soldjers in it.

Then Colonel Wynne was governour, and was killd at Red Marley in Gloucestershire by Masseyes men.

Then Prince Rupert putt in Colonel Scudamore.

                                               Gentlemen of Herefordshire.

K. John Scudamore, Viscount Slego in Ireland, lives at Hom Lacy, three myle from Hereford, now prisoner in London. 4,000l per annum.

R. [Henry] Coningsby of Hampton Court, (for every manor-house is called a court here,) Governour of Hereford. 4,000l. per annum.

R.Sir Robert Harlow [Harley], of Brampton Bryan Castle: he kept it pro Parl., (and 1644, the king's forces under the command of Woodhowse won it, and pulled it downe). 1,500l. per annum.

K. Sir Walter Pye of Meene [Mynde] in Dowchurch parish; his father was master [Attorney General] (25,000l. per annum), of the court of Wards: owes Kilpeck Castle in this shire near Hereford, the last decayed, a parke about it now.

a. William Mucklow. - See Ped. C. 30, f. 89, Coll. Arm.

b. A line is afterwards inserted: "Sir Wm. Vavasour first Governor of Heref."

page 196

K. Sir William Croft of Croft, Killd neare Ludlowe at Stoke Castle, a garrison of Parliament; since his howse beate down by us least the Parliament should garrison in it. 2,000l. per annum.

K. Sir Giles Bridges, Bart. at Wilton.

N. Sir Richard Hopton, two sons with the King, two with them at [Canon] Frome neare Ledbury, Usurrer.

Sir John Kerle [Kyrle] of Marckle.

K. Mr. Wallop Brabazon, at Eaton by Lemster, his father an Irish Baron. 1,000l. per annum.

K Sir Robert Whitney, of Whitney. 1,000l. per annum.

K. Sir Humfrey Baskervile, of Earsley [Erdesley] Castle, travailer. 300l. per annum; was 3000.

K. Mr. Tompkins, of Manington [Monington], Burges for Webley. 1,200l. per annum.

K. Mr. Roger Dansey [Daunsey], of Brinsop Court. 800l. per annum.

[Walter] Baskervile of Canon Peawne [Pion], small estate, [jureux.] first for the Parliament, then for the King, then theirs, then taken prisoner by us, and [with] much adoe gott his pardon, and now pro Rege, God wott.

                                     Brinsop Church, com. Heref.

East window, chancel, fairely painted, the borders with semy of fleurs-de-lis and lyons; these coates as old and large: Description of drawing

Divers old-fashioned flat stones in the chancel with flowry crosse wrought on them.

page 197

                    Hereford Minster, dedicated to St. Ethelbert.

South yle windows of the quire these coates:

Upper window: Description of drawing

Second window: Description of drawing

South window, crosse yle, not so old: Description of drawing

East window, north end of the quire: Description of drawing

North window, same crosse yle, east end: Description of drawing

page 198

North window, north yle, quire: Description of drawing

South yle windows of the body of the church. Three shields in each window, one above large, the other two small: Description of drawing

Second window: Description of drawing

Third window: Description of drawing

Fourth window: Description of drawing

Fifth window: Description of drawing

a. There is a drawing of this figure, C. 25, f. 3, Coll. Arm. Where also many of the coats here recorded, are given.

page 199

Sixth window: Description of drawing

Seventh window: Description of drawing

Eighth window: Description of drawing

Norh windowes, body of the quire.

This in the two uppermost window next the east: Description of drawing

Window below the north dore:

   England

   Marshall

   Clare.

Second window: Description of drawing

Third window: Description of drawing

Fourth window:

Bohun.

page 200

Description of drawing

Lowest window: Description of drawing

Under arches, south yle quire, the statues, larger then ordinary of four bishops, with mitres and crosiers cutt in stone.

   1. Verus, 1199 [William de Vere, son of Aubrey Earl of Oxford].

   2. Robet Foliot, 1186.

   3. Robert de Melun, 1167.

   4. Robert de Betun, ob. 1148.

Three such like, north yle quire.

One very faire statue betweene north yle and quire, of a bishop in alablaster: Description of drawing

Another for bishop Bennet. Description of drawing

Another statue between the north yle and the crosse yle north side. A north chappel, with this coate often in it: Description of drawing

Against the wall, in the south yle, east end, a statue of a bishop.

   Ludovicus Charlton, ob. 1369.

These two shields are also upon a crosse out of Hereford, as we ride to Wales: Description of drawing

page 201

A new statue gainst the south wall, same yle. Description of drawing

Under the wall of the quier, south side, an old statue of a bishop holdinge a church in his left arme:

   D' Robertus Losinga, Ep'us Heref. consecratus 1072, qui eccl'iam a fundamentis excitavit, et p'fecit. Sedes episcopalis Heref. primu constitut' est.

A handsome alablaster monument against the wall, south crosse yle: Description of drawing

Another bishop there: Description of drawing

Between the two pillars in the south side of the body of the church, upon an altar tombe, lyes the statue of a knight in alablaster, in armes, fashion of the Black Prince, a garter about his left legge, buckled. Moni Soit. This coat carved about his tombe: Description of drawing

Upon his breast the same carved. Under his head a large helmet and forth of a [wreath] vert: Description of drawing

Upon the pillar hangs this shield, painted and fairely guilt. Description of drawing

A helme guilt hangs upon the other pillar, the creast, &c. gone. They call him Pembridge. [Sir Richard Pembrugge ob. 1375.]

page 202

Within the north wall, body of the church, the statue of a mitered bishop, written

                     Carolus Booth Ep'us Heref. ob. 1535.

This coate is often spild [sic orig.] upon the hall of the pallace: Description of drawing

In the east end of all the cathedral, upon a large flat stone, the picture of a man in armes, in brasse, inlayed: Description of drawing

Divers flat stones in the body of the church for churchmen, some in the quire for bishops.

                Pembruge [Pembridge] Ch. com. Hereford.

East window chancel: Description of drawing

North window crosse yle, very old, this coate three times, faire:

   Grandison.

South window, chancel: Description of drawing

Under this window, upon two low altar tombes of playne stone, lye the four bodyes of men and their wives, ad hane formam, old: Description of drawing

page 203

This is observable, for never afore have I seene a thing of that age (unles a churchman) without armor.

The other is of another fashioned habitt, not so observable, in a kind of a long robe, without any thing on his head.

The inhabitants say they were in memory of the Gowres of Worcestershire.

About five myle from Pembruge is Wigmore, an antient seate of the Mortimers of Wigmore; now Sir Robert Harlow [Harley] the Reb. owes it. (a)

Steppleton Castle, in this shire, another ancient seate of the Mortimers Earl of the marches; now Sir Gilbert Cornwall owes it. Description of drawing

The antient seate of Cornwall is at Burford, neare Tenbury, which also Sir Gilbert owes.

Steppleton Castle was strong, but because there was no water neare, it was pulld downe by Ludlowes governour, least the enemy might make use of it. Defaced.

Croft howse defaced by Ludlowe ['s] men.

Mr. William Littleton's howse defaced, least the enemy shoud make use of them.

Here in Herefordsh. a quarter of mutton 14d. rye 12d. a bushel: rye is the best grayne growes generally in the county, and oates and pease: little timber in the shire.

The day before we came to Hereford his Majestie had intelligence that Fairfax had appeared before Leicester, and that the Lord Loughborough had yeilded it upon conditions.

To march away the soldjers, sans armes, officers with swords.

a. Grandfather of Robert Earl of Oxford.

page 204

Two regiments of horse, vizt. Queenes and Caryes; the men marched, but horses and armes the enemy had.

1,500 foot marched out of Leicester withe those gentlemen and wounded men that came in I suppose.

At Hereford, Wednesday, 25 June, the King knighted Sir Dudley Wyatt and sent him to France.

Munday, 30 June, the King's horse-guards removed to Gresmond, com. Monmouth.

There is the walls af an old castle on the north side of the towne, moted, but in part dry; upon the quarry of stone.

No armes nor monuments with inscriptions worth noting in Gresmond church.

                     Gresmond [Grosmont], com. Monmouth.

In the east end of the church in the yard lyes a flat stone, whereon is cutt the statue of a preist called John of Kent, and the picture of the divell. Description of drawing

John of Kent's patron Scudamore was sued a very sudden day of appearance about ten of teh clock at night to be there next morning at London. ohn gott a black horse and carried his paton to London at that time. At last John (a) cosend the divell.

Here and in other parishes of this shire they dresse the graves with herbs every Sunday of holy-day.

                       Garrisons in com. Monmouth.

K. Monmouth. Sir Thomas Lundsford is Governour; Herb. Lunsford,
Governour.

K. Ragland Castle, the habitation of the marq. of Worcester. His fourth son Charles Lord Somerset is Governour. 300 foot. No contribution, and constantly paid.

a. See the account of this (somewhat) apocryphal personage, in Coxe's Monmouthshire, with the references to Leland, &c.

page 205

K. Abergaveny. Colonel James Prodgers is Governour; Charles Prodgers, Leift.-G.

K. Chepstowe. Sir John Winter is governour. The county payes for 500. 300 men now in it.

KI. newport. Colonel herbert, first son to the Lord Cherbury. 50 men; contribution for 500.

        Cheife Inhabitants of Monmouthshire.

K. H. Herbert, Marquesse of Worcester, lives at Ragland Castle, his whole estate ubique was esteemed 24 thowsand pounds per annum.

Writes thus:- H. Worcester. Lord Herbert is his eldest son.

K. Sir William Morgan, lives at Tredegar.

K. Mr. Thomas Morgan, son to Sir William of Marghen [Machen].

L, Sir Philip Jones of Treowen, Knight, two sons in armes pro R.

K. Sir William Herbert of Colbrooke.

K. Sir George Probert at Pantlace.

Sir Trevor Williams, Baronet, of Llangubby.

Mr. Davie Lewis, of Llantheney, Esq.

Mr. William Baker at Abergaveny.

Mr. Henry Baker.

Tuesday, 1° of July, his Majestie left Hereford and marched to Abergaveny, com. Monmouth. He marched onely with these horse:

King's troope, Queenes troope, Prince Rupert's troope of lifeguard, Prince Rupert's regiment of horse.

The Governor of Hereford with the gentlemen of the shire attended the King to Mr. Pritchard's howse neare Gresmond, where the King dyned.

There his Majestie knighted Sir henry Linghan [Lingen] of hefefordshire [Knighted July 6, 1645.]

King's troope quartered this night at Treargaire [Tregare], Broingwine [Bryngwin], Bettus, and Clethey [Clytha], com. Monmouth, neare Ragland Castle.